Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Insecurities and Support


I just joined the Insecure Writer's Support Group hosted by Alex J. Cavanaugh, as part of my continual growth and self improvement that I've embarked on this year.

Though I've been writing for a number of years, I have a number of weaknesses to overcome.

One of those weaknesses is what I discussed about yesterday in my post Writer's Retreat. And a reason why I signed up for this unique group.

I am a work in progress. Each and every single day.

Many people think that I'm outgoing, confident, motivating, and fun. I can be, but most of the time I have to pump myself up first. I used to freeze up at chats. Sometimes I still do. I'm not very good at talking about myself. Interviews are a challenge. Of course I want to talk about my book, I wrote it to share with the world, but to talk about myself...not so much.

The positive side about admitting a weakness is that with work, it can become a strength. I do much better than before. I've worked hard to join in more, sign up for blog events, take part in special groups with like-minded people, and hang out at the social network sites. Is it easy? Nope. But I've never done anything the easy way in my life.

I believe that I can overcome my shyness. It's work that I don't mind doing.

What about you? What's one of your insecurities?

~Ann Cory

7 comments:

Cherie Reich said...

Ah, shyness can be very difficult to overcome. If people ask me questions, I don't mind answering, but I have a hard time just talking to people in the first place. :)

It's great to put yourself out there, though. Each little bit makes it easier, I think.

Unknown said...

I have a bit of a social anxiety. Funny thing though, it's only for meeting people in person. Over the internet doesn't bother me. There'll be time I don't feel like talking as much as I normally do. But there'll be days where I get nervous talking to people (even people I know) and I just want to get away from them.

Just keep working at it Ann. There are days that'll be better than others, but eventually, I think you'll pull through, it's all about those better days. :)

Andrew said...

I used to think that I would never succeed at anything and that I was never good enough/smart enough/etc. I've pretty much put that to rest, but occasionally it tries to rear it's ugly head.

Ann Cory said...

Thanks so much Cherie for stopping by! I've definitely had improvement. And I don't hyperventilate anymore lol. So, that's something ;)

Ann Cory said...

You're so right Jacob. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by and offer supportive words :)

Ann Cory said...

I hear that Andrew - I deal with that stuff too - ugh! Usually when I'm not feeling empowered enough to deal with it.

It feels good to conquer that stuff when we need to! :) Thank you for popping by!!

Wendy Reid said...

I have generalized anxiety disorder and although most of the time it only affects in person relationships, it sometimes affects my online activity as well. When it comes to my writing (or anything creative that I do) a few other people have to tell me it's good before I believe it myself. I don't trust my own opinion.