Thursday, May 05, 2011

Playdates Are Good for the Creative Soul


Yesterday, hubby and I spent part of the day together. The weather was beautiful, sunny and warm, seventy-two degrees, just wow. Today, overcast and drizzly. I think we made a good call.

We went to our local nursery and walked around for a couple hours. Everything is in bloom. The colors are a feast for the eyes, vibrant and inspirational. Not many people were there, unlike the weekends, making our time both quiet and relaxing. We strolled hand in hand, arm swinging, pointing out favorites, dreaming up ideas on how to improve our backyard this year. Seeing all the colors and beauty - total mind candy. Therapy for the soul. I didn't realize how much I needed to get out and break up the normal routine of my week. And I'm all for spending extra time with hubby. As a bonus, we didn't spend a dime for two hours of paradise.

I'm dedicated to my work. I keep extended office hours, since there aren't enough hours in the day, yet make sure there's plenty of family time in the evening. However, there are days where cutting out early does more for the creative soul than pounding the keyboard, or trying to power up a paragraph.

Today I feel an overall boost in my creativity, and it shows in my current WIP. I owe that to my playdate with hubby. I look forward to another one later this month :)

What do you do to amp up your creativity?

~Ann Cory

No comments: