Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Support Matters


Ladies, make sure you’ve got a proper fitting bra, and gentlemen, make sure you’ve got the right fitting belt. What the heck am I on about? I’m talking about support.

We all need it. Even if it’s just a little bit. None of us do well for long when we’re out there flailing around or riding low. Hence those bras and belts! It doesn’t matter what size you are, this is a one-size fits all kind of deal.

Everyone benefits from support. It’s a wonderful gift to give someone. Who doesn’t benefit from a pat on the back or a spirited “well done” every once in awhile? Who doesn’t benefit from the knowledge that they aren’t alone and don’t have to feel like they’re alone when they try a new job, story, or project? Everyone benefits!

And even more rewarding, not only does it feel good to have someone support you, it’s a boost to be supportive.

When you work hard and put all of yourself into your task, it’s nice to know someone is there to cheer you on and help pick you up on the days you question what you’re doing.

I’m lucky to have a wonderful support system at home. I can write anything and I know that my hubby is proud of me. But it isn’t just about supporting my actual work, he supports my business ethics. He finds ways to help make my office more functional by building shelves, installing the right kind of lighting, and creating ways to help me stay organized. He's my tech support and personal handyman. He’s also fun to storyboard with when my characters are running amok, and provides me with emotional support when a deadline looms or I second-guess myself. Yeah, it happens.

Not everyone has support from their family. And you may have close friends who can't provide you with the support you're looking for, but that doesn't mean you're doomed to be a loner forever. Take the initiative and email someone in your line of work/genre/project and see where it goes? You may have to do the initial work to find someone, but after you do, it becomes a team thing. *pom pom swish*

Write a list of traits you're looking for and seek out like-minded people. Strike up conversations and see where they go. You won't know until you try. I mean, unless you know exactly what you're looking for, you tend to try on a few of those bras and belts, don't you? *wink*

If you're looking for some extra motivation to hit your goals and stay accountable, then sign up for Write Motivation. After only a week, I feel jazzed about what I'm doing. Faulty thinking is banished. Negativity - poof, it's gone. Knowing people are rooting you on is inspiring. Course I always did like those gold stars back in grade school. In a single click, there's someone in your corner :) Talk about motivation!

There’s no need to feel alone. Get active in finding your support system. And then get active by being supportive!

~Ann Cory

9 comments:

Jamie Dement (LadyJai) said...

I love how everyone is getting so excited about KT's #writemotivation! We all need some at one time or another. We need support. We all have that nasty little voice in the back of our head telling us we aren't good enough. I'm looking forward to all that is given and all that I can give!

Lissa Matthews said...

Having support is important and sometimes it's imperative to the creative process, to know you're not alone completely. I'll be checking out Writer Motivation because at the moment, my support system is all but non-existent.

Ann Cory said...

You said it Lady Jai :) We do need support - and I didn't realize how much I did until I joined up. You guys are amazing!

Ann Cory said...

Yay Lissa! So good to hear :) You'll get full support from wonderful people. Be sure to stop by #writemotivation on Twitter - daily motivation going on :)

K.T. Hanna said...

It's great to have another voice cheering along with everyone else. Motivation can be amazing when shared. I'm so glad you signed up - it's great getting to know you.

Ann Cory said...

I'm so glad I signed up too K.T. - you have inspired me to get healthier in mind and spirit with your Write Motivation.

Morgan said...

Holy... I don't know who could survive in this writing business without support... it's so draining... and HARD no matter what stage of the process you're in. Great post. (And new follower... thank you also for your kind comment this morning on my blog) :D

Ann Cory said...

Thanks Morgan - and I agree. It's important to connect with others and you get a double gift by inspiring others in the process :)

So glad you stopped by!

Liv Rancourt said...

Am totally going to check out #writemotivation. Like the song says, we all need somebody to lean on. Thanks for the post.